Skip to main content

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not



I fell on the bed exhausted. Thoughts I had never dreamed I'd have had been bombarding me for months. And for the first time in years I felt the pangs of an old foe...guilt. I turned on some worship music and cried. I told the Lord how awful and dirty I felt. I lay there arms outstretched and let his love flow over me until I fell asleep. 

This was the turning point for me.

You see, I absolutely adore my husband. For the first four years of our marriage, no matter what financial problem, personal tragedy, or health issue came up, we were a team!  

But this past year I found myself thinking about another guy while I was with him...

Yeah, this was not like me. 

Yeah, I was completely ashamed of it. 

And it didn't just suddenly happen one day. It was far more subtle than that.

It started with something Joe would fail to do or something rude he would say, and immediately I'd hear the lie...he doesn't think you're lovable anymore.

And then he'd be too tired to do anything when he got home, and the lie would surface again...he doesn't want to spend time with you anymore. 

At first I shrugged the little thoughts off. But they came more and more often, and after a while I got too tired to fight.  I started to believe the ultimate lie...your husband doesn't like you anymore.

So I started making some new friends and started finding in them what I thought I was looking for...someone thought I was interesting! After I had spent the last year feeling invisible, someone saw me and wanted to know me!

The lie surfaced in a different way this time...your husband doesn't make you happy anymore...maybe one of them can...

And when I looked up, I saw how far my thoughts had fallen, and how far they had taken me with them. 

We all hear the stories of spouses committing adultery, of families torn by it. We never think it will be us. We never dream that we would be seduced by its call.  I certainly never thought it'd be me. And even though nothing physical had happened, it was still adultery. In my heart, I had already been putting another man in my husband's place. Didn't Jesus say, "anyone who looks at a woman lustfully, has already committed adultery with her in his heart"(Matthew 5:28)? Mine may not have been a sexual lust, but it was an emotional one. That's when I realized I needed help. 

After that surrender to the Lord in tears of shame, He started opening up conversation with mentors who prayed for and encouraged my marriage. And then He opened up conversation with my husband. And I realized that he was having a fight of his own. I had been so caught up in my own battle that I had failed to see how discouraged and alone he was. 


What I realized from this year-long fight in my heart is that any marriage can fall into adultery, that even women are susceptible, and that it doesn't happen overnight. I also realized that it's so important to have people in my life who can encourage and correct me without judging me. People who have been where I am and can show me the way out. If you are in this place, dear sister, please do not fight alone. Bring it all before your Father in heaven and he will bring you people who will help you. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying For My Other Half

Something happened in one of our friend's lives recently that made me stop and consider how quickly life can change forever. It also made me realize that sometimes all that stands between our loved ones and a tragedy is our prayers. 
So my heart has been turning over the subject of prayer since then and most specifically prayer for my husband. It seems that I pray for everyone who asks-- close friends, strangers, and missions groups in far away countries. But my husband, the one human whom I share a child, a bed, and a life with, hardly gets any prayer attention. When he does, it's because I'm upset and am asking the Lord to change him. 
I want to change that. I want to become a woman who prays for the most important and probably longest relationship of my life. 
So I went online and found some other women who were also doing the same thing and found some resources to help me stay in prayer for my husband. 
The Better Mom blog has printable cards for 31 days of prayer for my …

Do What You Love

My husband and I took a much needed and very overdue vacation a couple weeks ago. It was just he and I and the rolling farmland of Amish country. 

One afternoon we were enjoying a drive when we rounded a corner on a hill. From behind an oak tree on my right emerged a gorgeous chestnut horse racing alongside us. In the golden light, I could see his powerful muscles under his sleek coat. He tossed his head back and forth making his mane dance in the breeze. He kicked his legs in joyful freedom. My breath caught in my throat. My lips mouthed a slow-motion "woooowwww." 

I don't know if it was the euphoria of being on vacation, or the magical rays of late afternoon sunshine, or the novelty of seeing animals (since I didn't grow up with any) but that moment is forever etched into my memory. What I felt seeing that beautiful, powerful creature playfully and freely doing what he was made to do filled me with such joy that there was nothing more I wanted to do but stand there a…

Put it in Writing

I celebrated my 33rd birthday last week. It was such a treat to get a slew of birthday cards in the mail. I absolutely love cards. When I was younger I kept every single one in boxes and had created more of a problem for myself than anticipated. In the spirit of the minimalist project I've started this year, I no longer keep my cards in boxes; I will enjoy them to the fullest but they will be tossed in a few weeks. But for now, they sit like colorful butterflies on my fridge, flapping their messages every time I walk by or open the door, reminding me of all those who have been thinking about me, taking time out of their busy lives to send me their well-wishes. 

The summer has been full of activity and I've had little time to invest in writing to others. But now school supplies are on sale and the weather is getting cooler, and I can feel my heart yearning to write. This yearning is for more than just typing on a screen; it's for colorful pens and paper and handwritten words…