Skip to main content

Taming My Tongue

So too the tongue is a tiny part of the body, yet it boasts great things.
With it we bless God, the Father; and with it we curse people, who were made in the image of God.  Out of the same mouth come blessing and cursing! Brothers, it isn’t right for things to be this way.
James 3:5,9


My name is Sarah and I am a gossip.

A few months ago I found myself sharing with my husband some things a friend had shared with me in confidence. I shared no intimate details, but just enough to get his view of the situation and some advice as to how to handle it. 

But that had been enough to change my husband's view of that person. Just a few minutes into our conversation I wish I had never opened my mouth.

Then the next morning, as I was doing an online Bible Study, the Lord began to show me the other times in my life where I have done the same thing. I have shared a friend's precious secrets under the guise of "needing prayer" or "just venting" or "wanting advice." 

And suddenly I became aware that I do this multiple times a day, with every conversation I have. A little complaint here, a little venting there, and I have been pulled in to the very thing I have always hated...gossip. 

A gossip goes around revealing secrets, but a trustworthy person keeps a confidence.
Proverbs 11:13

I have caused more heartache than I probably know, and probably more drama. And the worst is that I have hardened the hearts of people towards those they have never even met. My husband and I have been the center of gossip before, and we didn't even know it until months later. It hurt a lot to learn that we had been talked about to people we didn't interact with or even know. To think I may have caused someone else the same pain! 

I didn't start out looking to slander anyone's name or reputation. I started out with what I call "good gossip." I wanted to share all the good things the people in my life had done with the other people in my life. But it's so easy to slip from the good someone has done to the little things they do that are different from us. Then to the things that irk us. Then to the bigger issues of our relationships with them. Until it's hard to see the good in that person and only the irritations and short-comings. 

It's one thing to seek advice from a mentor or friend for my own issues and struggles. But when it comes to the issues and struggles of others, I want to keep those between the Lord and them. I want to pray with the person and trust that God will sort it all out in their hearts. And if I must vent, I will vent to my journal and the Lord or go for a walk. Maybe invest in a punching bag. 

I want to be a woman above reproach. That goal seems so insurmountable. Especially in the light of this new revelation that my heart is not where it should be. But my Father is the Lord of new mercies and new creations. Create in me a pure heart, oh God, and renew a right spirit within me!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying For My Other Half

Something happened in one of our friend's lives recently that made me stop and consider how quickly life can change forever. It also made me realize that sometimes all that stands between our loved ones and a tragedy is our prayers. 
So my heart has been turning over the subject of prayer since then and most specifically prayer for my husband. It seems that I pray for everyone who asks-- close friends, strangers, and missions groups in far away countries. But my husband, the one human whom I share a child, a bed, and a life with, hardly gets any prayer attention. When he does, it's because I'm upset and am asking the Lord to change him. 
I want to change that. I want to become a woman who prays for the most important and probably longest relationship of my life. 
So I went online and found some other women who were also doing the same thing and found some resources to help me stay in prayer for my husband. 
The Better Mom blog has printable cards for 31 days of prayer for my …

Do What You Love

My husband and I took a much needed and very overdue vacation a couple weeks ago. It was just he and I and the rolling farmland of Amish country. 

One afternoon we were enjoying a drive when we rounded a corner on a hill. From behind an oak tree on my right emerged a gorgeous chestnut horse racing alongside us. In the golden light, I could see his powerful muscles under his sleek coat. He tossed his head back and forth making his mane dance in the breeze. He kicked his legs in joyful freedom. My breath caught in my throat. My lips mouthed a slow-motion "woooowwww." 

I don't know if it was the euphoria of being on vacation, or the magical rays of late afternoon sunshine, or the novelty of seeing animals (since I didn't grow up with any) but that moment is forever etched into my memory. What I felt seeing that beautiful, powerful creature playfully and freely doing what he was made to do filled me with such joy that there was nothing more I wanted to do but stand there a…

Put it in Writing

I celebrated my 33rd birthday last week. It was such a treat to get a slew of birthday cards in the mail. I absolutely love cards. When I was younger I kept every single one in boxes and had created more of a problem for myself than anticipated. In the spirit of the minimalist project I've started this year, I no longer keep my cards in boxes; I will enjoy them to the fullest but they will be tossed in a few weeks. But for now, they sit like colorful butterflies on my fridge, flapping their messages every time I walk by or open the door, reminding me of all those who have been thinking about me, taking time out of their busy lives to send me their well-wishes. 

The summer has been full of activity and I've had little time to invest in writing to others. But now school supplies are on sale and the weather is getting cooler, and I can feel my heart yearning to write. This yearning is for more than just typing on a screen; it's for colorful pens and paper and handwritten words…