Skip to main content

Two Becoming One



All I knew was my husband wasn't living up to my expectations.

I started questioning his motives and intentions. Every action he took or didn't take seemed like a personal attack. 

"He left his socks on the floor just to spite me." 
"He forgot to text me from work because someone else was on his mind." 
"He didn't want intimacy tonight because he doesn't like me anymore."

Then I started to distance myself emotionally from my husband. If he was in the house, I would only give him passive-aggressive hints about how he had disappointed me that day or I'd give him the cold shoulder, expecting him to know what he had done wrong.

I could only see things from my perspective. I could only see how my husband's actions were affecting me. I could only see my unfulfilled dreams and shattered expectations. I only knew my hurt and my pain. I was so trapped inside my own thoughts I couldn't see how my thoughts and actions were affecting my husband. I expected him to make me happy and be the amazing man I had always dreamed he'd be. 

And what man wants to come home to that? Even the Bible says: 


It is better to live on a corner of the roof than to share the house with a nagging wife
Proverbs 21:9

He saw an angry and distanced woman and stayed away. I saw an insensitive man and wanted to punish him for it. Both of us were hurting, but each was too hurt and proud to let the other one know it.

Then one day, a friend painted for us a large, beautiful canvas that symbolized our unity and told our story--something I had never thought about before. We were a family, we had a history, and we had a beautiful future that was ours to create. Why had I been trying to run away from that for so long?

This was the first time I remember ever seeing my husband and I as a unit, as a family, as a team. I no longer saw us as two single people who were married or two adults who shared a house and a kid. It was as if a veil had been lifted from my mind. I had a "duh!" moment. 

The change in my heart was dramatic. All the things that my husband did that used to drive me nuts no longer did. In fact, it was the opposite. I saw the socks on the floor and instead of a mess I saw the man who came home tired each night to provide for us. Instead of a cold, distant husband I saw a man who was struggling with his own issues, with worries, and fears that he had no one else to share with. I had been so blinded by my own fears that I couldn't see that he was fighting a losing battle with his own insecurities and with feeling he could never measure up to the world, his boss, his family, and now even his wife. 

But the walls around my heart had been torn down. I opened up to him and shared my fears. But most importantly I shared that I wasn't angry at him, that he was not my enemy, that anything I had held against him was gone and was not going to be coming back. God had done a complete heart-transplant on me towards my husband. And what God does, no one can undo (Isaiah 22:22). 

This moment came after nearly a year and a half of struggle with my own thoughts about leaving my husband. It came after months of prayer and advice from mentors.  It came after allowing friends and family to speak hard truths into my life and allowing the Lord to change me, instead of praying for him to change my husband. 

Marriage, after all, is His idea and was from the beginning, and not just a hum-drum marriage, but a marriage that's deeper and richer and sweeter than anything I could have ever imagined for myself. 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free from Guilt

A couple of friends and I have had conversations this week about the thing that seems to plague all women most of the time...guilt.

I feel guilty about standing my ground when I know I'm right. What if I hurt the other person's feelings? 
I feel guilty about honestly saying no when I don't want to do something.  What if I'm just being selfish?
I feel guilty about not attending every birthday or wedding I'm invited to. Or accepting every friend request on social media. Or volunteering for every empty spot on the church help list. 
I feel guilty about buying myself a new shirt. Or a new book. Because maybe that money could be used for something more important. 
I feel guilty for just wanting to be alone--a lot--instead of out partying it up with people. 
I feel guilty for sitting my kid in front of the TV for a few minutes while I write this. 
I feel guilty for just wanting a foot rub at the end of the day, and not a steamy evening of romance.

I feel guilty that I haven'…

Everything I Thought I Knew

Relationship magazines, advertisements for women, submission talks in church, modesty talks in youth group, and my mother's and grandmother's own views about men and their own broken relationships...I brought all these lessons with me into my marriage, ready to be the greatest wife ever! But I have been disappointed by some of this advice and I've had to relearn a few things along the way. 

1) As long as you're a good cook and keep a clean home, your husband will be happy. (Ok, there's sex too, but I'll talk about it later)  A few dirty dishes, which to me are the end of the world, aren't even on my husband's radar. He'd rather me sit with him and watch a movie or work on a project together.

2) You're too fat, you forgot to shave, your tan lines are showing, your breasts are too small, your butt is too big, your hair is too flat. It was absolutely terrifying to stand naked in front of my husband for the first time-- for the first hundred times. It…

Seasons

My daughter, my dog, and I were walking in the woods today when we came to a spot that was familiar and stopped. I could just barely tell it was the same place we visited a couple of winters ago. Everything looked so different under the weight and shade of leaves, flowers, and berries. The water was bubbling and the air was alive with both humidity and bugs. This seemed worlds away from the still, barren cold we experienced on our first visit.

This moment reminded of the change of seasons in our own lives. On my own personal journey, my life looked very different a year ago. In fact, this very walk, in the heat and sun, for this long, would not have been possible. I was battling physical and mental symptoms of anxiety that had made even getting out of bed impossible on some days. What a transformation a year has made! I am not the same, nor will I ever be again. Much the same way this spot in nature is both familiar and strange during a different season. 

I live my life in seasons. What…