Skip to main content

Unexpected Journeys


As I went to pull the handle on the fridge door today, I took a step back and chuckled.  I used to be so organized and neat.  I never thought I'd see the day when little scribbled drawings would fill the front of my fridge.  I used to be independent and travel solo through my life.  I never thought a little person who looked so much like me would be exerting her own will over the decisions in my life (like going swimming instead of washing the dishes.) 

Oh how much I fretted and worried about deciding to have this little person. How much I wondered if I was ready. How sick I was my entire pregnancy and how long and hard her delivery was. How many gray hairs and stretch marks I now have.

And now here she is, and I would not trade a moment of it for anything else. 

Many aspects of my life, like this one, turned out much differently than I expected. Much differently than I had even dreamed or hoped. They turned out better. Even after the heartache, the tragedy, and the grief, there is joy, and wisdom, and strength.  I am glad for all of it.

Dear reader, embrace the entirety of your life. Embrace the hard moments and the good. The dull moments and the exciting, because they add up to the whole of your life.  Do the things that scare you. Take a chance on something you are not ready for. You will look back at the person you were before and not recognize yourself, because the person you have become will be so much more amazing than you could have ever planned. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Becoming One

An excellent wife is the crownofherhusband. Proverbs 12:4
All I knew was my husband wasn't living up to my expectations.

I started questioning his motives and intentions. Every action he took or didn't take seemed like a personal attack. 

"He left his socks on the floor just to spite me." 
"He forgot to text me from work because someone else was on his mind." 
"He didn't want intimacy tonight because he doesn't like me anymore."

Then I started to distance myself emotionally from my husband. If he was in the house, I would only give him passive-aggressive hints about how he had disappointed me that day or I'd give him the cold shoulder, expecting him to know what he had done wrong.
I could only see things from my perspective. I could only see how my husband's actions were affecting me. I could only see my unfulfilled dreams and shattered expectations. I only knew my hurt and my pain. I was so trapped inside my own thoughts I couldn't se…

Let's Talk About Sex

I first published this post in January of 2012. Our daughter hadn't even been conceived yet, I had just started writing, and my husband had just started his business. Still the stresses of life haven't changed much and things still hold true for our marriage 5 years later. 

One of the babies I watch cried all day today--literally, all day--stopping only for 10 minutes to drink her bottle and for another 10 minutes when I was singing "Old McDonald". We don't have a washer and dryer, so I took 6 loads of laundry one at a time, by foot, to the laundromat on the complex.  I started at 8 this morning and I am still drying clothes. While I was making tea this morning, my one small pleasure during the day, my teapot caught on fire--yes, I didn't know they could do that either.  There is still a bed full of clothes to fold, dinner to make, dog poop to clean off the patio, and baby spit-up in my hair.  I'm exhausted.
But when my husband comes through the door later …

Puppy Love

I was online reminiscing with a friend about "old times." We have both since moved states, she got her Master's, I got married, and we're both doing what we love in a way we never expected.

The name of a mutual friend came up...a guy I had had a huge crush on in college. So I did what any normal woman would do...I Facebook-stalked him. To clarify, I no longer have any feelings for this guy, so it's not like I was looking to rekindle something (trust me, there was nothing there to rekindle. He only saw me as a younger sister, which was a big bummer for me at the time.) To my young, wide-eyed, college-age eyes he was the epitome of everything I thought I wanted in a future husband. He was charming, outgoing, a scholar, tall, handsome, and when he smiled...*sigh* my whole world stopped turning. I had followed him around like a puppy even though he was a few years older and we didn't share a single class. I was in love with his persona and I was crushed that he …